Mid-Week Music #27 - Take Me Out to the Ballgame



If you’re here from my old blog, you’ll know what Mid-Week Music is. If not, allow me to explain the concept.

You see, every Wednesday, I post (or try to post) one of these. I put up a video of a song into the post, along with the lyrics, and some words about the song. Those words could be few or somewhat many. (If it ends up being many, I’ll put some of them in the space under the lyrics.). It’s a bit of a blog series, really. I have a YouTube playlist of the songs as well. Oh, and it won’t be any specific style of music. It could end up being just about anything, so brace yourself for some randomness.

This first week on my new blog, I’ll be putting up… well, a rather random song. But I’ve been immensely busy lately, and this song is sort of along the lines of what I’ve been working on. That song is: Take Me Out to the Ballgame!

I’m practicing a comedy bit for a sort of show, coming up on Saturday, which is baseball themed. I’ll leave you to guess which bit that might be. But I’ve heard this song a lot as I’ve been practicing. So I decided to do this. Not quite what I wanted for my first Mid-Week Music post on my new blog, but I did say these are rather random. Besides, it's really a blast from the past. Seeing as I'm a time traveller's daughter, it is a little fitting.

Also, these are the full lyrics, not just the chorus. Everyone seems to forget that there was more to the song than that. I'll admit, I didn't even know it until recently. (Oh, and in the full lyrics, a “sou” is old-timey slang for a “low-denomination coin”. At least, that's what it says on the website). Anyway, it’s time to… Take Me Out to the Ballgame!




Katie Casey was baseball mad
Had the fever and had it bad
Just to root for the hometown crew
Ev’ry sou Katie blew
On a Saturday, her young beau
Called to see if she’d like to go
To see a show, but Miss Kate said “No,
“I’ll tell you what you can do:

(chorus)
Take me out to the ballgame
Take me out to the crowd
Buy me some peanuts and crackerjack
I don’t care if I never get back
Let me root, root, root for the home team
If they don’t win it’s a shame
Well it’s one, two, three strikes, you’re out
At the old ball game!

Katie Casey saw all the games
Knew the players by their first names
Told the umpire he was wrong
All along, good and strong
When the score was just two to two
Katie Casey knew what to do
Just to cheer up the boys she knew
She made the gang sing this song:
 
(chorus)
Take me out to the ballgame
Take me out with the crowd
Buy me some peanuts and crackerjack
I don’t care if I never get back
Let me root, root, root for the home team
If they don’t win, it’s a shame
For it’s ONE, TWO, THREE strikes, you’re out

At the old ballgame!

Comments

Popular Posts